1:14 AM

Gratitude list: 31st May to 6th June, 2009

Mood: Mellow and grateful
Music: C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon A Time In The West) - Ennio Morricone
Date/Time: Sunday, 7th June, 2009/1:14AM

Something near and dear to my heart is the power of positive thinking. I believe strongly in maintaining a positive attitude, visualizing my goals/dreams, making gratitude lists and blocking out negative chatter/events that are external and beyond my control.


I've been working in the Public Relations industry here in Jamaica since 2005, and a part of my job has always entailed media monitoring and keeping up with current affairs - especially those relating to the particular company I was working at the time.


It quickly hit me that in the average 20 minute news package - that 10 minutes of that could be reports on violence or social unrest - it was depressing. Not figuratively, literally. I was becoming depressed by hearing these things every night - and it soon reached the point where I didn't like watching the news and treated it like a task associated to my job.

However, when I stopped working - my mindset improved. Now that I'm not working actively in the PR field, I limit my local news watching to 2 or 3 nights a week. Sometimes when I see something utterly depressing come on, I will change the channel.
I like keeping abreast, but it's depressing not to mention it makes you paranoid about leaving home for the fear that someone will attack you. It does. I even apply this to the foreign news I watch. I like to know what's going on, but if I've seen the news item come on and it's about violence or something equally as depressing, I will not watch it repeatedly.

I've been lagging when it comes to my practices concerning positive thinking, and I admit that in some areas my life was reflecting this. However, this week I saw this article posted by Stephanie Treasure, who is a colleague on my facebook.

It was both uplifting and a reminder to practice what I preach. This is taken from an inspirational website she has.
5 Simple Ways to Control Your Negative Inner Chatter

That said, this is my list for the week, I might not always post it here, but I do make a list. Perhaps this will be a regular feature, perhaps not. Either way, I encourage you to do the same. It doesn't have to be long or filled with serious things, but as long as you remember to be grateful, life will be better.

Gratitude list for 31st May to 6th June, 2009


1. My friends: they are the rock upon which my sanity is anchored.

2. Living alone: because sometimes...you just want to be alone.

3. Creativity: for while mine might not be flowing the way I want it to - I still have a way with words - mild case of writer's block or not.

4. Lucky Charms: my world wouldn't be complete without them. The only cereal I can eat everyday and not tire of.

5. My orchid plant: its been with me since I moved in. It reminds me where I'm coming from, where I am now and where I'm going.

Love,
Ally.

Photo Credit: Todd says "Relax, Mommy"; an original artistic effort by MorphineKisses; Thursday, ‎November ‎27, ‎2008

2 comments:

Stephanie Treasure said...

Ally, I am happy and grateful that my article had a positive impact on you. I have been really getting into my gratitude list every night too. And sometimes its something simple like being thankful there was a short line at the bank :-)

BTW, your blog layout is beautiful. I will be checking in from time to time to see what's new.

Take care for now.

Allison Charmaine said...

Much thanks to you for posting that artcile in the first place!

And thanks re: the layout. I got it out of the box and tweaked it. I really love how functional and simple it is.