5:51 AM

Peeping Tom

Mood: Perturbed but generally happy
Music: The Runner by Kings of Leon

Date/Time: Friday, 24th July, 2009/5:51AM


Those of you who follow me on Twitter and Facebook will know by now that I have a peeping tom problem.
Last week I heard a noise outside my window, when I opened the window I saw a man standing out there. I asked him why he was outside my window and he said some stupid excuse about being out there to "pick the medina".
I eventually went out there this week, thinking that perhaps a weed plant had sprung up outside my window and he had been picking it. Keep in mind that I had heard the noise before and previously thought it was either lizards running in the grass, the gardener who comes from time to time, or a neighbour just walking behind my apartment.

I slammed the window shut when I realized I wasn't properly dressed, and he then proceeded to cuss at me. Imagine, me being cussed by a coke head, about HIM being outside MY bedroom window.

So yesterday morning I wasn't alone - when I heard the rustling outside the window - I said to my companion "someone is out there". They told me I was hearing things, and it was only when I insisted there was someone out there, they got up and went to the window.
The top row of windows were slightly open but titled downwards. They told me that someone
was in fact at the window, attempting to peer in.
However, the ground outside is lower than the level of the window - since the man was average height he couldn't see in because of the angle - we hope.

Another thing is, there are some cracks in the windowsill/frames of the window. I can see outside if I peer carefully - and vice versa.
After it was confirmed for me that I do in fact have a peeping tom problem - I felt so violated.
I know I have heard the same rustling noise before, I know I have felt the presence of someone else on the other side of the window - which before now - I chalked up to someone who had permission to be on the property.
I cannot begin to describe how VIOLATED I feel. I thought back on all those private moments I've had in my bedroom, which I shouldn't have to explain or describe to anyone. You know what I mean.

I'm quite upset as you can imagine: no more afternoon naps in the nude, and I plan to bring this up at the next meeting for residents of my strata.
The women in the complex need to be made aware of this man - his behaviour could elevate - not to mention our laundry room is an open area where anyone can enter - but if you scream - you might not be heard.

As for the peeping tom, it is not below me to spray him with a can of Raid next time I hear him outside my window. Clearly this is a situation where the police can't help - I can't expect them to sit here all day, every day waiting for this man to show up and arrest him.
No pity for a man who stands outside a window listening/watching someone else's private moments.
I'm sure Jesus will understand.

Love,
Ally.

Photo Credit: Street murals: The locally famous "peeping-tom" beach of Tel-Aviv, 2002. Painted on the beaches showers; Image borrowed from http://www.ramimeiri.com

0 comments: