11:19 AM

Port Royal. Waving Gallery. Hilton.

Mood: Content
Music: All I Need - Radiohead

Date/Time: Monday, 18th January, 2010/11:58AM


EDIT: Why didn't someone point out to me that my "lysdexia" (dyslexia) had kicked in and I had "galley" instead of "gallery" when referring to the waving gallery?  
CORRECTION has been made.

I find that the best moments in life are completely unplanned and unrehearsed. This is a profound statement coming from someone who is a notorious planner that lives in her head. I used to plan my entire day, from waking to going to bed - but when you work a 16 hour day, this is essential to maintaining your sanity. To-do lists and organisers were my friend, Google calender and a PDA - were like manna from heaven.



And now? I plan, but I no longer feel the need to plan every single detail or live in a world according to my organiser. There are no Monday morning production meetings, no 3PM Communications meetings - no working breakfast, lunch or dinner meetings. There are no red pens for editing, yellow highlighters for revising, or pencils for wording/grammar suggestions.
There is no running around looking for the orange post-it I wrote that note on last Tuesday, where is it? No need to memorise my boss's credit card number, address, license plate number or remembering where he/she put their car keys when they arrived here...wherever "here" happened to be.

Last night I left home at 11PM, we had no idea where we were going, and as we approached the intersection/traffic lights near my house, I told him to turn left because the filter was green: let's go to the airport I said. We did eventually make it there, after driving out to Port Royal first.
After walking around a bit, we woke up the coconut vendor, and got some coconut water. I know it may sound odd to foreigners, but there are few pleasures greater than getting coconut water straight from the fruit that bore it.
I'd just like to say now, that if you've never seen the Kingston skyline at night from Port Royal, this is something to put on your to-do list. As we stood by the shoreline listening to the boats ride the water lapping the shore, that "bump bump bump"...I turned to look at the skyline, and felt...at peace.

We were both curious if the Waving Gallery was still at the nearby airport, so went to find out - hoping we could go up there and watch the planes for awhile and talk. No luck, a security guard confirmed for us that the gallery had been removed during the renovation of the airport. And I entertained my companion about tales of Gun Boat beach and dead bodies and attempts at adventurous sex ruined by robbers - we headed to the 24 hour Deli at the Hilton.

As we sat eating cheesecake and perusing the free tourist newspaper (it amuses me that we both love to look at the ads), we laughed and talked. I'm sure it didn't please the gentleman near to us that seemed to be doing work - but I didn't care.
We idly planned a re-enactment of a slave revolt, and figured out locations and actors to play the various parts, we talked about life, love and everything in between. And in these three hours, I was reminded why this friendship has withstood the tests we've faced.

Even as we snuck upstairs to play the piano, and I acted as look-out - I remembered how I have never had a dull outing with this person I call my friend.

I love my life, and I love my friends.

And if I ever forget to tell you, life is too short: have adventures.


Love,
Ally.

Photo Credit: I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Devon House Ice Cream; Wednesday, 13th January, 2010

2 comments:

DarkePhoenyx said...

Lovely entry MJ ;-)

Unknown said...

I love It Alli. & Love u 2
-Angie